Chapter I. GENERAL REGULATIONS
Article 1. Adjustment scopes and targets
- This article provides regulations on pre-doctoral admission at International University, Vietnam National University, Ho Chi Minh City (VNU-HCM) including general regulations, mode of admission, admission process, targets, admission requirements, rights and responsibilities of pre-doctoral fellows, application documents, duration and education language.
- The regulations are applied to those who desire to enroll in PhD programs, yet they do not meet the English requirement or lack of scientific publications in the research interests.
- The regulations are not applied to PhD joint programs with abroad universities, in which the degree is issued by the international education unit.
Article 2. Objectives
Provide favorable conditions for pre-doctoral fellows to shorten their education period via accumulative credits during the pre-doctoral program with other official PhD candidates in the relevant research interests. This can help them complete some courses before becoming official postgraduates.
Chapter II. RIGHTS & RESPONSIBILITIES OF PRE-DOCTORAL FELLOWS
Article 3. Rights of pre-doctoral fellows
- Participate in courses and research with official postgraduates;
- Participate in pre-doctoral program and scientific methodology;
- Accumulate credits of the relevant PhD programs, yet they must not exceed 50% of the total program’s credits;
- Access to scientific papers, library, university infrastructure for study, research, and dissertation;
- Participate in scientific research and publication. Research papers and results can be used by official PhD candidates;
- Duration of pre-doctoral program is not included in that of the PhD program;
- Other benefits according to regulations of the education unit and department in charge.
Article 4. Responsibilities of pre-doctoral fellows
- Comply with the regulations on study and research of the education unit;
- Fulfill financial obligations for the process according to the regulations. Develop specific regulations on funding for pre-doctoral programs;
- Within the maximum of 24 months, pre-doctoral fellows must be eligible for all the requirements in order to become official postgraduates;
- Other responsibilities according to regulations of the education unit and department in charge.
Chapter III. ADMISSIONS TO PRE-DOCTORAL PROGRAM
Article 5. Mode and time of admission
- Mode of admission:
- a) Members of Professional Subcommittee are responsible for pre-qualification of application documents and academic transcripts at Bachelor’s and Master’s levels; English proficiency (if yes); scientific research and achievements (if yes); and research proposal’s quality.
- b) Presentation from the applicants about the research interest in front of the Professional Subcommittee. Members of Professional Subcommittee make an interview to evaluate the professional abilities of postgraduates, scientific significance, practical applications and feasibility of the research proposal, comments about the referral letters, research interest in compared with the relevant PhD program.
- c) Head of the Professional Subcommittee gather information from the members and confirm the list of applicants participating in the pre-doctoral program.
- Number of admissions per year is based on the official PhD admissions.
Article 6. Admission requirements
- Pre-doctoral program is for applicants who desire to enroll in PhD programs, yet they do not meet the English requirement or lack of scientific publications in the research interests.
- Within the maximum of 24 months, pre-doctoral fellows must be eligible for all requirements in order to become official postgraduates.
Article 7. Application document for pre-doctoral admission (Download here)
- Application form for pre-doctoral admission (with portrait) and 03 3×4 cm portraits (with name and date of birth written at the back of the images);
- Scientific resume (with portrait and confirmation from the local or work agency);
- 02 notarized copies of Master’s degree and its academic transcript;
- 02 notarized copies of Bachelor’s degree and its academic transcript;
- 07 research proposals in English;
- Acceptance letter for postgraduate study from expected advisor;
- Referral letters for scientific determination of the applicant by 02 scientists;
- 01 scientific paper or report that is relevant to the research interests published on a scientific journal, or 01 conference yearbook with reviews within 3 years from the issued date to the date of submission (if yes);
- Referral letter from the work agency (if yes);
- English certificate that is equivalent to: IELTS 5.0, TOEFL iBT 45 (if yes);
- For Vietnamese applicants who had Bachelor’s degrees from abroad universities:
- Degree verification given by Ministry of Education and Training.
- Duration for verification submission: attach to the application document or submit before the examination day.
- Commitment form (compulsory for candidates who submit the degree verification after the examination day)
Chapter IV. ORGANIZATION & MANAGEMENT OF PRE-DOCTORAL PROGRAM
Article 8. Organization and management of pre-doctoral program
- Pre-doctoral fellows must complete maximum 50% of the total subjects of the program, including those in the supplementary, official, and relevant PhD courses.
- Duration for pre-doctoral program
- a) Duration: 24 months (from the date of recognition of pre-doctoral fellows);
b) Within 24 months, pre-doctoral fellows are prioritized for non- examination entrance in the latest admission period as soon as they meet the postgraduate admission requirements./.